"Do You Have WiFi?" Getting Online Without the Awkward Pause

"Do You Have WiFi?" Getting Online Without the Awkward Pause

person holding a smartphone in their left hand and tapping the screen with their right index finger, positioned directly underneath an illuminated, stylized Wi-Fi symbol.


You just want to text home, check a map, or send one photo. All you need is four words and a bit of confidence.

The Script

You: Hi, do you have WiFi?
Staff: Yes, of course.
You: Great, what's the password?
Staff: It's on the receipt all lowercase, no spaces.
You: Perfect, thank you!
That's it. Cafés, hotels, airports this exact exchange works almost everywhere.

Words Worth Knowing

  • "Do you have WiFi?"  the main question you need
  • "What's the password?"  the natural follow-up
  • "Is it free?" worth asking, especially at hotels where it sometimes isn't
  • "I can't seem to connect"  useful if the WiFi isn't working

One Tip From Polly

If the WiFi isn't working, don't just say "it's not working" try "I can't seem to connect, could you help me?" It sounds like a request for help instead of a complaint, and staff respond to it much faster.

Your Turn

Next time you sit down somewhere new, try asking before you even open your laptop. It's one of the easiest phrases on this whole blog. 🦜

Professor Polly
Written by
Professor Polly
Hello, Globetrotters! I'm Professor Polly, your language guide at Polly's Phrasebook. I specialize in fun, fear-free English for travel and life. I give you the confidence to talk to anyone, anywhere.

Comments

Leave a Comment